Scroll to Top

Upper Belvedere

Permanent Presentation of World-Famous Masterpieces 

Sala Terrena

Four powerful atlantes support the stuccoed, vaulted ceiling of the Sala Terrena (ground floor hall). Originally, this room was devised as a single spacious hall but after damage during the winter of 1732/33, the construction of the four columns became essential. The hall opens out to the garden and leads up to the Grand Staircase, thus combining a garden hall and vestibule in one room.

Grand Staircase

Originally, the main entrance was located on the southern side of the Upper Belvedere and is even recognizable today by the access ramps. From there guests would have walked up the Grand Staircase to the palace’s main floor. Stucco reliefs adorn the walls, showing the triumph of Alexander the Great over Darius on the right wall and the wives of Darius before Alexander on the left. Originally a scene of Alexander severing the Gordian knot was depicted on the ceiling. Problems with the roof construction, however, led to this being removed in the nineteenth century and replaced by the rosette that can still be seen today. 

Carlone Hall

The Carlone Hall, or painted hall, was named after its artist, the north Italian frescoist and itinerant painter Carlo Innocenzo Carlone (1686–1775). He painted the impressive ceiling fresco depicting the Triumph of Aurora (1722/23), while the illusionist architecture was executed by Marcantonio Chiarini and Gaetano Fanti. Originally a cool spot for visitors on hot summer days, this hall’s embellishments have been preserved to this day, while the frescoes in the corresponding hall in the east wing were lost at some later point in time. 

Marble Hall

Occupying two storeys, the Marble Hall is the Upper Belvedere’s most magnificent room and is also the first room accessed from the staircase. Figures depicted in an engraving suggest that this hall, resplendent in reddish-brown marble and gilding, once served as an antechamber. Above the fireplaces, one can see animal paintings by Ignaz Heinitz von Heinzenthal (returned to their original location in 1963). The frescoes were the work of Carlo Innocenzo Carlone and most probably Marcantonio Chiarini and Gaetano Fanti.
Carlo Innocenzo Carlone painted the ceiling fresco in 1721. It shows the eternal fame of Prince Eugene amidst the princely virtues while History upholds his deeds and Fame praises the same. The illusionist architectural painting was in all likelihood carried out by Gaetano Fanti based on designs by his father-in-law.
The Belvedere’s Marble Hall came to be widely known, as it was here that the Austrian State Treaty was signed on 15 May 1955 by Leopold Figl. Probably the most important event in Austrian post-war history, this re-established Austria as a sovereign state.
Now open to the public, visitors can appreciate the original splendour of the Marble Hall to this day.

Palace Chapel

One of the Upper Belvedere’s glittering highlights is the octagonal Palace Chapel in the south-eastern corner tower.
The two storeys of the central room followed aristocratic rules and mirrored social hierarchy. Palace staff would gather on the ground floor while the balcony on the piano nobile was exclusively for the illustrious owner. An engraving by Salomon Kleiner dating from the 1730s reveals that the chapel has been largely preserved in its original condition. Eight herm pilasters in the corners give structure to the steep proportions of the interior and large rectangular windows provide a source of light. The reddish-brown stucco marble, gilded stucco, and frescoed ceiling echo the decoration of the two marble halls. The altarpiece is also exquisite and shows the Resurrection of Christ by Francesco Solimena, one of the greatest exponents of Neapolitan Baroque art. Commissioned by Prince Eugene, Solimena started work in 1720 but it took ten years for this meticulous artist to complete the painting.
Rounding off the ensemble are two larger-than-life-sized guardian sculptures of the apostles John and Peter. As comparable works are lacking, it has not been possible to establish whether the apostles were the work of the Genoese sculptor Domenico Parodi or of his assistants. Surmounting the array of artworks, a ceiling fresco by Carlo Innocenzo Carlone depicts the Holy Trinity against a backdrop of the heavens.
Holy mass: every Sunday at 12 pm 

Visitor Information

Opening Hours Upper Belvedere
Daily 10 am to 6 pm

Contact
Phone +43 1 795 57 134
(Mon – Fri except on holidays: 9 am to 5 pm)
E-Mail public@belvedere.at

Address
Prinz Eugen-Straße 27, 1030 Vienna